How to Cope With Clueless Questions, Crass Comments, and Crazy Conjectures
Oh, the things people say to writers!
- “What do you do?”
- “What do you write?”
- “Is there any money in that?”
- “Where have you been published?”
- “How’s the book coming along?” (Alt: “When will you be done with that thing?”)
- “Why don’t you just sit down over a weekend and just finish it?”
- “You should write like Stephen King!”
- “You should put a vampire in it!”
- “Why don’t you just go on [popular TV show]?” And, the ever popular,
- “When are you going to get a real job?”
These are the kinds of (often, but not always) well-meaning questions, comments, and conjectures that bedevil writers. A little planning can help a lot in terms of coping, however. Below are strategies for: (a) increasing your tolerance for difficult questions; (b) maintaining conversational boundaries; and (c) dealing with hostility.
Get The Latest News And Events
Greetings from Hillary!
Welcome! My goal is to help you recognize and overcome any disempowering forces in your work and life so that you can reclaim your joyful productivity and achieve your personal and professional goals more quickly and easily than you ever imagined! Thanks for checking out my site, and I always welcome your comments, suggestions, and questions at email@example.com.
The single best thing you can do to support me and my work is to review one of my books on Amazon or elsewhere. Thank you in advance!